How To Build And Master New HabitsMay 10, 2022
It is well known that we are what we repeatedly do.
However, with the endless content circulating the interwebs, there seems to be a surplus of details on what good habits to build but not nearly as much content about the actual steps to build and master new good habits.
A while back I created a special framework that I began using every day in my own life to build and master new habits and it has completely transformed my ability to master new habits. I've shared this framework with clients with incredible success and thought it highly beneficial to share it with you as well.
So buckle up and get ready to put in EFFORT and HARD WORK to become the person you need to be to achieve your dreams!
The Champion Leadership Habit Mastery Blueprint:
- Start small and build momentum. Remember, how we do anything is how we do everything!
- Pick 2 of the new habits you will begin practicing for 2 minutes each day this week. Find one thing you can do each day that will help you build that Champion Leadership Habit.
- For instance, if you want to build habits of Champion Leadership:
- If you want to practice Servant Leadership, set an intention to find someone whom you can serve with that habit and invest 2 minutes practicing it.
- If you want to practice Extreme Ownership, find something you can take full ownership of each day and really truly practice it.
- If you want to practice Integrity, start with keeping your word to yourself with something you decided you would do like waking up at a certain time and getting straight out of bed without hitting the snooze.
- Schedule the time of day you will practice these 2 Champion Leadership Habits for 2 minutes and write them into your calendar.
- If you feel like going for more than 2 minutes, go right ahead, just know that you only need to do 2 minutes at a minimum so keep that as the goal.
- Remember, it's more important to practice consistent persistence by performing 2 minutes every single day, rather than making a big splash and falling off.
- Set up reminders and track your progress - You can use the reminder app on your phone however I strongly encourage you to download the Strides App to set reminders and track your daily progress because it is a much better interface, has more organizational capabilities, and shows your trends in much more detail.
- Each day celebrate the progress you’ve made after you practice your new habits and give yourself positive affirmations decreeing and declaring that these new habits are your identity. Try pumping your fist in the air and say out loud, “YES! I AM A CHAMPION LEADER! I PRACTICE THESE HABITS EVERY DAY TO DEVELOP MYSELF AND THIS WILL LEAD ME TO GREATER SUCCESS!” Really put emotion into this process so it creates neurological pathways and deep-seats the new habits into your brain.
- Find an accountability partner and have weekly meetings to stay on track and encourage each other. You can meet in person or through video chat and share screenshots of your Strides progress. If you are unable to find a partner, feel free to email me at [email protected] once a week to update me on your progress and stay accountable. I will always reply to your email and encourage your accountability. Use the subject line “(Your First & Last Name) Is A Habit Building Machine - Date of Email - ex. 2/22/2022.”
- Continue practicing these 2 Champion Leadership Habits for at least 2 minutes each day for the next 90 days. Then when you have these down as second nature and just part of your daily routine go ahead and attack the next 2 Champion Leadership Habits you want to install while maintaining the current habits and get to work practicing and tracking the new habits for 2 minutes each day.
- Add in new habits as you grow - If you’re ambitious and a go-getter, add in one new 2-minute Champion Leadership Habit to practice each week until you are practicing all 10 consistently on a daily basis. If you find yourself struggling after adding in new habits, slow down and practice the current number you have for at least 2 weeks before attempting to add in another. Also if you’re really struggling, go ahead and drop back down to a lower number of habits until your momentum is back up and you’re practicing each one every single day.
Please remember though it's more important to mast 2 habits than to half-heartedly attempt several. How we do anything is how we do everything!
Also remember, this is not a contest with anyone else other than your former self. Strive to be a little better each day and over the course of weeks and months, you will become a whole new person, a real true Champion Leader.
**One final thing I’d like to share with you that will help tremendously as you are building new habits and developing a better self:
Regression is part of progress. What this means is that it's totally normal to experience some backsliding as you are striving to take on and master new habits. So please just be graceful with yourself. Trust me, the rest of the world will be hard enough on you, be kind to yourself. This is one thing I wish I would’ve learned earlier in life so please don’t make the mistake I did by being so hard on yourself whenever you fall off the wagon or deviate from the path.
Transformation takes time and consistent persistent effort, so if you do miss a day or two or find yourself falling off completely from the practice of your new habits - that is totally ok! Instead of condemning or beating yourself up about it, as soon as you have awareness you are off course, just get back on the path right then. Put all your energy and focus into just practicing the new habits for 2 minutes.
Literally, the moment you realize you’re off track, take 4 or 6 or 8 minutes (however many habits you’re practicing) and do those habits right there at that moment so you get yourself back in rhythm. Forgive yourself for the slight failure (and remember failure is success) and keep a positive mindset and self-talk to encourage yourself to begin again with the daily practices of your new habits.
Where your focus goes energy flows so put your focus on the positive, the fact that you have awareness you backslid and commit to correcting course by taking immediate action to do so. Be graceful with yourself. Now that’s not an excuse to cop out and allow regression, it is a strategy to overcome the obstacle and be your best.
We’re all human, and nobody is perfect. Strive for consistent effort and daily progress, not perfection. You are so awesome and capable of so much more than you may realize. I believe in you, you’ve got this, you can and will do it and become a Champion Leader!
If you are serious about transforming your life and business and find it helpful to have someone come alongside you to assist in the journey, go here and register to work with me directly to master yourself and your life!
Get James's Emails!
Elevate with insights and wisdom straight to your inbox to be your best.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.