5 Leadership Habits For Victory
Want to be a better leader?
Then it may be time to take a long hard look in the mirror and elevate your self awareness of the example you are setting. Are you setting an example of exceptional or poor leadership?
Remember, how we do anything is how we do everything. The place where we all can gain the most is focusing on doing the little things properly to set the standard for larger things being done properly.
When you are in a leadership role, you’re in the fishbowl. Meaning all eyes are on you and anything you say and do will be interpreted as appropriate by your team to act and speak in similar ways. Basically, you give permission to your subordinates with your actions.
In today's business world, there are a lot of different leadership styles. But if you really want to be an effective leader, there's only one way to do it: lead by example. When people see you living and breathing the values and mission of your company, they're naturally drawn to you and inspired to do their best work. Plus, it's the best way to set the standard for behavior within your team. So if you're looking to be a better leader, start by leading by example. It's the surest way to get results.
Being a great leader is about more than just giving orders – it’s about making a real impact on people’s lives. And that starts with setting an example for them to follow. So if you want to be remembered as a great leader, start by leading by example.
Here are 5 habits you can implement immediately to improve your leadership by example and inspire your team:
1. Be impeccable with your word - mean what you say and say what you mean. Be sure to keep your word, if you said a certain task or project will be done by a certain day or time, make sure it is completed on time. Make sure you are punctual with all other time commitments as well. You will never be able to hold your team accountable if you’re not first accountable to yourself.
2. Be a role model of integrity - do the right thing in every situation just because it is the right thing to do, regardless of who is watching or finds out. The world is so hungry for integrity right now and this is one of the most powerful leadership traits that you can exhibit to stand out as an exceptional leader.
3. Practice extreme ownership - meaning give credit for all wins to your team while taking ownership of all mistakes and errors. Do not ever blame others and never make excuses. Focus on the one thing that you can control, your actions and behavior in every situation. When your team sees you exhibiting this, they will become inspired to do the same and it will eventually become the standard within your organization.
4. Speak of a person and so shall they become - this means to speak positively about others in every instance. Even if members of your team fall short or have subpar performance, speak life and positivity into them. Tell them you see how much effort they put forth and you are confident they are going to get it right. Practice this whenever you speak of others whether it is at work, with friends, with your partner, or with acquaintances. We attract that which we project, so project positivity and speak outcomes into existence.
5. Be humble - ego is the number one killer in life and business. Exhibit humility in all your actions and dealings with your team. This is another practice that becomes contagious when exhibited regularly by leadership. And it all starts at the top, with you!
There you have it, a quick and surefire path to being a better leader and inspiring others within your team to step up and be leaders.
Pick one or two items from the list and give your best effort in demonstrating the behavior daily for the next week. Then double down and keep practicing the one or two you select for the rest of this month. Before long, they will become second nature and you will be amazed at the impact this will have on your team's productivity and motivation.
Get Awareness Elevation's Emails!
Elevate to high performance with expert insights and wisdom straight to your inbox so you can be your best and make more in less time.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.